Here is a video of our tour of PAMF and Peninsula Healthcare Connection!
Enjoy! (Video Credits to Dr. Choi)
The next Medical Explorers meeting is scheduled on Monday, September 14th at 7:00 P.M.
- We will introduce the new officers to you and share what’s in store for this year. You’ll have a chance to hear from advisor Dr Enoch Choi MD about his disaster relief to Nepal providing free medical care to earthquake survivors with a team from USA assisted by local nurses, pharmacists and translators. Tips on how you can prepare for an earthquake locally will be provided by Palo Alto Police Dept Office of Emergency Services. See http://fb.com/enochchoi for photos from the trip.
The sign up sheet for the Symposium is up! Here is the link: http://goo.gl/forms/gQPsxWsEDX
Please fill it out, and we hope to see many of you there!
The biennual medical explorer is coming up! Here is more information about the big day.
25th Biennial Medical Explorer Conference
Post 63 Palo Alto Medical Foundation
795 El Camino Real, 3rd Floor, Palo Alto, CA 94301
Saturday, February 28, 2015
- 9:00 Welcome and introductions- Supriya Sanjay, current president, Post 63
- 9:15 Tentative: keynote lecture by Stanford Medical School Dean Dr Pizzo on “The Future of Medicine,” Stanford Prof. of pediatrics
- 10:00 Dr Don Barr MD “Health Care Systems Compared”
- 10:45 Break: Snack time
- 11:00 Hands on clinical session #1. Choose two of the following:
- Dr Bill Rogaway, MD Adult Oncologist “Treating Cancer”
- Dr Bradley A. Greene, MD Plastic surgeon “Suturing Lab on pigskins” http://facebygreene.com
- Tentative tour: SurgiCenter
- Tentative tour: Cardiac Echocardiology Lab
- Tentative speaker: daVinciRoboticSurgery
- Tentative tour: Pathology lab
- Tentative speaker: Congenital Heart Disease
- 12:00 Hands on clinical session #2. Repeat of 11am sessions.
- 1:00 Lunch
- 1:45 Introductions. Peter Awad, past president Post 63
Medical challenges in the third world. Dr. Bonnie Maldonado, M.D. Prof. pediatric infectious disease, Stanford medical school
- 2:30 Participations and demonstrations by Explorer posts
- 3:30 Critique & closing remarks: Dr. Enoch Choi M.D., advisor post 63
There is a special event called TEDYouth, where you can explore many interesting topics that may further spur your interests!
For more information: https://www.ted.com/attend/conferences/special-events/tedyouth
Our next meeting will be on Monday 11/10 with Dr. Rhonda Hamilton, as she discusses her path to medicine. We will then have Stanford students come talk to us about the college application process.
See you guys there!
We are looking forward to a great year of learning and exploration! Be sure to sign up in the “Join Now!” tab for important information regarding guest speakers, tours, and volunteer activities! For our returning members, we ask that you re-register.
Can’t wait to see everyone this fall!
We only have a few more meetings left until we finish up for this year. You can see the updated schedule by going to the Schedule tab above.
Our final meeting will be elections for next year’s officers. If you’re interested in running for a position or being part of the voting process, make sure to come to the meeting!
See ya! 🙂
Our next meeting will not be until April 8th. The schedule will be updated soon!
Thank you for coming to the conference today. We hope you enjoyed listening to the lectures and getting some hands-on experience today.
If you would like to tell us how it went for you, please click here! We will use your information to help make our next conference even better than today’s event.
We’d like to give a BIG thanks to all of the people who helped make today’s conference possible. Taking time to help high school students on a Saturday really means a lot to us. We’d also like to thank Dr. Hartzell for supporting us to prepare and host this conference!
Hope you all enjoyed today! See you at the next meeting! 🙂